Need help to decide what to upgrade

Sanik

Ok, so its my time for a upgrade for my computer.

The upgrade will happend in september and i will have about £600 to spend on the upgrade

I do consider buying a new GPU, but im not sure if i should buy a new CPU which means i would need to buy a new CPU + Motherboard + Ram + cooler. or i could buy a new GPU, not gonna buy a 1080+

If there is something i would buy it would be an 1060 since i would have a better GPU and my CPU is decent for its age.

https://gyazo.com/153a68ffe804b775e22958a29d4dd90f my current specs (I will buy another cooler for my CPU)

17 hours ago, Sanik said:

Ok, so its my time for a upgrade for my computer.

The upgrade will happend in september and i will have about £600 to spend on the upgrade

I do consider buying a new GPU, but im not sure if i should buy a new CPU which means i would need to buy a new CPU + Motherboard + Ram + cooler. or i could buy a new GPU, not gonna buy a 1080+

If there is something i would buy it would be an 1060 since i would have a better GPU and my CPU is decent for its age.

https://gyazo.com/153a68ffe804b775e22958a29d4dd90f my current specs (I will buy another cooler for my CPU)

I would go ram+cpu.

Depending on what GPU you have as it just says 200 series i would suggest upgrading that to either a 1070 or 1080.

I would also suggest a better cooler for the cpu as its running a little hot at 67, maybe a h100i or h110 AIO.

IMO the cpu and motherboard is solid and will last for a good few more years from now. Aparently the 4790k I know yours is the 4790 but i think literally the biggest difference is overclocking, ITs single core performance is actually greater than the skylake 6700k not sure if thats true or not but thats what I have read.

16GB of ram is fine but its running a little slow, 1333mhz im guessing could do with 1866 or more maybe.

• Management

Faster RAM for sure, although you have 16GB its only 1333 and that is pretty slow for gaming.

I highly recommend Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Vengeance Pro - I picked my kit up on sale for £90, usually retails about £110/£120 but well worth it.

I agree with @jcbjoe you have a pretty decent mobo/cpu, shame you don't have the 4690k as its a beast for overclocking, i have mine stable at 4.5Ghz on air cool.

If you are going for Air Coolers, one of the best you can buy is the COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO and it's only around £30.

Next is GPU - An Asus GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX OC will set you back around £400 but come September prices should be much lower and you will more likely get a 1080 for around £400 or less

Personally i would wait for the MOBO/CPU upgrade until Intel release their 'Coffee Lake' 4/6 Core chips hopefully before end of 2017.

P.S I would ask again in September and we can advise you on best upgrades, as a lot of complements will be much cheaper by then

Edited by Scott McTavish