Shadowplay – Record in game sounds only

Chris_Towns

Hello everyone, I have made a guide below on how to enable shadowplay to only pick up on in game sounds whilst ignoring other sounds such as music / discord / teamspeak. This should enable you to have very clear evidence submissions without all the noise.

(this guide will work with other screen recording software, there may be some extra steps required)

Notice --- This guide is meant to show you the basics of how to use the software. I followed quite a few guides to get this completed.

Before you get started, you will need to download the following items

Voicemeeter Banana - https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Virtual audio cable - https://vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Shadowplay (Nvidea graphics cards only) - https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay/

Installing Voicemeeter and Virtual audio Cable

Extract voicemeeter banna and Virtual audio cable. Install both (there will be a box asking you install when you run the program) then Restart your computer.

Voicemeeter Overview

Voicemeeter is used for a variety of applications and possibilities, for this guide, we are going to be using Voicemeeter to split our sound into different channels. These channels are what will separate out all of our applications so Shadowplay only records what we need it to.

image.png.69e4da5da09bdb9cc03af72e252afbc2.png

When you first open Voicemeeter, it should look like the above picture, you will need to perform a few configuration steps in order to have it functioning though.

Configuring Voicemeeter to load on start up and in system tray

The first task we must do is to click the menu button at the top right, this will bring a drop down of items. Click “system tray” and “run on windows startup”

image.png.adcff5de777461d2f7f553356ba62885.png

We are going to first of all direct every single sound on the system to go through and be processed by voicemeeter. To do this, we must first select our Hardware out settings

***NOTE*** when you follow this guide, you will lose sound until you have the channels set up correctly, so if you require sound, follow this guide when you are able to

Setting the Hardware OUT (physical output)

So the hardware out settings is effectively telling the program once it gets the sounds, where should it send the sounds. If you have multiple devices such as headphones, speakers, Bluetooth speakers and you want different sounds to appear on them, you will need to select multiple. In my case, all my sounds go through my headphones, so I select WDM: SPDIF Interface (4-FiiO USB DAC-E10) (this is my headphones DAC)

image.png.91a891cacf7a7d8dcfdacce0ba21af70.png

After you have selected this, you should now see your hardware lists under “hardware out” the more inputs you select (A1, A2, A3). This is a physical output you are selecting

Hardware input (virtual inputs)

As all of your sounds and input devices will be going through this, You will need to select your Microphone (in order to split this from the desktop sounds) and Cable output.

Cable output is where your music will come through or anything else you want to specify.

image.png.c76c7cfc9bce529e37045e00f321478c.png

As you can see here, I have my Hardware output 1 as MIC, you can rename each field by right clicking “Hardware input” I named mine to Mic for ease.

As my Second output, I have this for Cable output (this is the virtual cable you installed at the beginning. This virtually splits the sound; I have this set up for my music)

As you can see there is A1, A2, A3 at the bottom, this points to where you want the sources to be pointed to. In my case, I don’t want to hear my microphone, but I want to hear my Cable output therefor, I point my Cable output A1. (if you wanted your Cable output or music to be heard over the speakers instead, you would select A2, A3 whichever one you put towards your speaker)

Configuring Windows Sounds

First, you need to set your sound to Voicemeeter as default, You should see your sounds picture bottom right of your screen

image.png.4a9e59a6a2afa69493883121e7819fae.png

Right click, and click Sounds, you should see a panel pop up which should look similar to mine

image.png.c736d8ae823dbfd20580ae919da61297.png

Scroll down to the bottom until you see “voicemeeter Aux Input” or “Voicemeeter Input”

image.png.882545e7de8215ab0c5dfd1dfbc7d2ac.png

Right click “voicemeeter Aux Input” and set this as default communications device and right click “Voicemeeter input” and select this to default device,

if you notice below each input you will see AUX VAOI or VAOI this relates to the Voicemeeter inputs

image.png.3d4ce7a4f8a4e2ce8c3ad5a0587ac1f9.png

As you’ve set VAIO as your default sounds, all sounds will be going from VAIO which is why I’ve named this Desktop.

Now we need to set Arma (or any game) to the AUX VAIO in order to split this from the desktop but still hear it.

Setting Game sounds to AUX

First, open your Arma 3 and load up the game until your on the menu where you can select single player / multiplayer.

Then go to sound settings by right clicking sounds

image.png.f5559679365b283e16b7acffedcbf816.png

Select open sound settings

It should look like the below

image.png.66f25b85bfc8a9e97174adffde0085bb.png

Scroll down till you see

image.png.0ce2bff21d0f9b84c0ea9254fe9b2b50.png

Once you open this, you will see all your apps and their sound settings. At the top select your output to be Voicemeeter input (VB-Audio Voicemeeter VAIO) and your input to your Mic.

Scroll down till you see your Arma 3 and set this to be Voicemeeter AUX Input and your music to Cable Input, Since I like listening to youtube music on google chrome, I pointed chrome to Cable input. Your settings should look like mine

image.png.b4407cb637adb34470477ae81047f9d9.png

If you have followed these steps, you should now be set up and ready to go! Put your shadow play on and test your recording.

If you have any issues, please feel free to contact me on the forums or on my Discord Jaffasec#3396

image.png