Sign in to follow this  
Joshyy

New Build

Im saving up for a new build but im not 100% sure on what to get. This is what ive picked so far :

Cpu : I7-9700k
Cpu Cooler:
Motherboard: Asus PRIME z390-A ATX LGA1151 
Ram:
Gpu: Asus ROG Strix 2070 8GB
Psu:
Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case

Edited by Joshyy

Do you want to advertise here? Have a youtube channel you're looking to promote? even your gang page? Contact Neo on Discord or email us

I will be honest and say the i7 9700k isn't worth the extra money.

The 9700k will give better performance on games because of it's superior single core performance, but it would not be a huge amount and you would unlikely see any major difference with Triple A games.

As games become more advanced and demanding the 3600 will out perform when those increased demands call for extra multicore performance

If you plan on gaming at 1440 then the difference between the CPUs will be negligible and be bound by the GPU.

With an AM4 scoket you would not have to change sockets if in a few years down the line you wanted a more powerful CPU (such as the new 4 series AMD)

With an X540 motherboard you will have the benefit of having pcie 4.0, you can look that up :)

I have left out certain parts as you can decide if you are taking bits from your current PC.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FPn36s

TLDR: Get a 3600/3600x and get a RTX 2080

Edited by Scott McTavish

Intel's old roadmap said they would be at 7/5nm last year, we won't see that til '21/'22 at this pace. AMD is running laps around Intel at the moment, I was planning on upgrading from a 7700K to an i9 but unless Intel pulls something of early next year, get AMD

2 hours ago, censored.exe said:

Arma 3 is RAM intensive, so if you plan on playing lots of Arma dont cheap out there.

I dont know how to undo this page help

No it's not

Arma 3 is primarily a CPU intensive game

20 hours ago, censored.exe said:

Arma 3 is RAM intensive, so if you plan on playing lots of Arma dont cheap out there.

I dont know how to undo this page help

You're not really going to ever need more than 16GB of RAM for gaming, at least for the foreseeable future

18 hours ago, Joshyy said:

here is the list so far https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GwgBgw . For the storage, im probs just gonna format my current HDD and SSD

I mean, it's all compatible and there is zero doubt you can't run Arma with this setup, or any current game for that matter.

As you have an aftermarket cooler, I guess you're going to be overclocking? If not, i'd go for the 3600X as it has higher clock speeds from the factory, but, if you're overclocking anyway, just go for the 3600 and save yourself the money.

If you're not overclocking, i'd go for the 3600X. It comes with a stock cooler that is more than capable of keeping the CPU cool without overclocking. You can then take the aftermarket cooler out of your build and the cost would stay the same, as the 3600X is slightly more expensive, but taking the cooler out offsets that price.

The reason for this is the 3600X stock clock speeds are faster than 3600, turboing up to 4.4GHz, instead of just 4.2GHz on the 3600. It makes logical sense to just get the 3600X if you're not overclocking and as I said before, not buying the aftermarket cooler covers the cost of the slightly more expensive 3600X, at about £30 more, which is actually slightly cheaper than the cooler, saving yourself £10 ish :) 

PSU is perfectly fine for the rig.

Personally, I would go for the 3600 and keep the aftermarket cooler because I would overclock it. However I don't know how much knowledge you have about overclocking so i'd stick with whatever you're comfortable with.

Edited by Luke.

2 hours ago, Luke. said:

If you're not overclocking, i'd go for the 3600X. It comes with a stock cooler that is more than capable of keeping the CPU cool without overclocking. You can then take the aftermarket cooler out of your build and the cost would stay the same, as the 3600X is slightly more expensive, but taking the cooler out offsets that price.

The reason for this is the 3600X stock clock speeds are faster than 3600, turboing up to 4.4GHz, instead of just 4.2GHz on the 3600. It makes logical sense to just get the 3600X if you're not overclocking and as I said before, not buying the aftermarket cooler covers the cost of the slightly more expensive 3600X, at about £30 more, which is actually slightly cheaper than the cooler, saving yourself £10 ish :) 

PSU is perfectly fine for the rig.

Personally, I would go for the 3600 and keep the aftermarket cooler because I would overclock it. However I don't know how much knowledge you have about overclocking so i'd stick with whatever you're comfortable with.

3600x is a waste of money over the 3600 for literally 2-3% performance gain

Tbh @Joshyyyou should just ditch the aftermarket cooler and use the stock cooler which is more than enough.

Plus there is no need to overclock it.

Edited by Scott McTavish

25 minutes ago, Scott McTavish said:

Intel isn't worth the money these days, AMD is leading the way forward

9 minutes ago, andrew. said:

The rest of intel was a let down but the 9600k is tasty

I was going to get an AMD in my new rig but i'm kinda an intel fan boy so I had to go with the 9600k. Definitely was worth the buy