Change of rule Regarding Heli initiation

AdaM^

This has happened on a number of times while playing, sit in my heli, hear nothing > get shot out.

After watching this back I saw I do take damage around half the way through, glanced away from my screen at the time for a second and missed me taking damage, I think a more full proof system should be implemented, eg rangefinding the heli, getting their name and messaging them.

Something more noticable then "Tracers"

@PJPLEB This is where you need to come up with a solution. You are correct, the current way is not good, it's not ideal, but at the moment, it's all there is. People cannot verbally communicate with a helicopter and expect to be heard. There needs to be a way to initiate on choppers though, otherwise they just roam about freely, spot for people, disturb others, and nothing can be done.

The Police have the Alt F1 hotkey now, perhaps something like that for a rebel...although I don't know if it's "roleplayability" would be questioned...

Edit..just saw the recommendation made in OP, fair play.

Anyway, good luck

Edited by Walt
3 minutes ago, Walt said:

Alt F1

I know this probably sounds silly coming from me, but would you mind explaining the ALT-F1 system to me? Does it display a message to the pilot?

If so, this should surely be enough of a message to the pilot to fly off!

Another thing....... if this is the case, then I didn't see a message pop-up to this pilot and therefore tracers were not enough?

Edited by Guest
16 minutes ago, Pe7e said:

Allow us to binoc/rangefind a heli and get a nameplate then initiate through the messaging system.

It's surprisingly easy to write up as well.

I have to completely agree with this, by doing this one thing it can avoid so many complaints and so much confusion.

One thing that I used to listen out for elsewhere was the sound of the shots however it seems you have your sound turned all the way down or else I'm an idiot. I do agree, tracers are dodgy to be used as warning shots because they're fairly one way interpretation. The shooter knows he is warning them (he/she can't get banned), the receiver may not know they're getting shot but can't call anyone on it.

1 hour ago, Fuel said:

I have a better Idea, I can give civs the same system as cops, and it only works if you have a radio, if no radio then no initiating on a heli.

The only problem with that is how people abuse it. Literally, every time I fly a heli around cops I get Alt F1'd, I can't imagine it happening every time near a civ. Also, it could easily be abused by rebels using the orca, it's got decent arma so they could hover until they're alt f1'd and the moment they're shot at boom, your gang is initiated and all roleplay gets flushed down the shitter.

Just a simple meta game system for you to range find a heli and get the piliot is so much more of a full proof way of getting across your initiation then an alt f1, you can't abuse a simple message and it is direct to the heli you want to initiate on... therefor no confusion here and there about who sent you the "f1" or then abusing it for that matter

"please land or you we we will have to use lethal force"

anything along the lines of that still keeps the role play on going rather than an automated message that is the same every time...

54 minutes ago, Isaac Wolf said:

Umm I've only done this once and I'm not sure about wether it is in the rules but I just write " *shout* land the helicopter or we will use lethal force"

If it's in direct, bad idea - everything in chat is OOC. If it's in side, it's worse. 1, it's OOC and 2, it's not directed at anyone - there could be 10 helicopters in the air - you can't expect them to all land can you?

1 hour ago, Isaac Wolf said:

Umm I've only done this once and I'm not sure about wether it is in the rules but I just write " *shout* land the helicopter or we will use lethal force"

Shouting at a helicopter doesn't really work in roleplay. If you've stood next to a helicopter with its rotors on full blast you would understand.

Whilst you could argue that the rangefinder or binos identification is "meta gaming" but it is times like this where this kind of implementation is required. As PJ said for a server that enforces roleplay (evident in the rules) this is a fairly large exception where no interaction between the two parties (Heli crew and people on the ground) happens. Same with the problem Adam has faced here, there is no message given and there is a fairly large chance that bullets or tracers will not be seen or heard because of the noise of the rotors.

If you could meta a pilot it would help prevent "messy situations" and ensure that everyone knows 100% who is in the heli and whether he has been told to leave the area rather than just shooting three tracers at him and waiting 30 seconds to shoot him out same again the fact remains that the helicopter pilots KNOWS that he has been told to leave rather than sitting there confused on why he died.

Also

If a helicopter is messaged being told to leave the area or be shot down it can be up to the admins who write the rules to judge this as initiation or not. YOUR CALL GUYS.

That's my 20 cents. Personally you should be able to meta game pilots but that is my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Fuel said:

We are not permitting people to metagame only in certain circumstances, the best solution is to put an item in the shops ie radio and when you have a radio on you, you have the option to message all helis in the area with "you have 30 seconds to leave or we will take actions to shoot you down".

I'm not going to lie to you. Your suggestion is good but flawed.

The issue with contacting all the helicopters is that you do contact ALL helicopters which means you most likely will initiate on a group of people who you were never there have a quarrel with in the first place.

The advantage of the binos is that you have control on who the message is sent to.

That being said both your idea and the binos idea have their ups and downs

1 minute ago, Joshua said:

I'm not going to lie to you. Your suggestion is good but flawed.

The issue with contacting all the helicopters is that you do contact ALL helicopters which means you most likely will initiate on a group of people who you were never there have a quarrel with in the first place.

The advantage of the binos is that you have control on who the message is sent to.

That being said both your idea and the binos idea have their ups and downs

Well thats down to scripting, the police one does not contact all helis, it only contacts helis within 500 meters, and if there is no helis in 500 meters it tells you nobody in range

Just now, Fuel said:

Well thats down to scripting, the police one does not contact all helis, it only contacts helis within 500 meters, and if there is no helis in 500 meters it tells you nobody in range

I'm talking scenario-wise not contacting ALL helicopters on the server (xD). Let's put it this way, you're at the airport or some kind of field, mine ect and there is an odd chance that there will be more than one heli around. You want to tell one of them to kindly leave the area or you will blow them away however you don't want to say that to ALL of the helis in the immediate area (sorry for not making this obvious)

An enhancement on the radio idea would be if you could choose which heli to send it to for example - aiming at the heli you want to send the message to.

• 3 weeks later...